Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Some fixes for the previous version

I guess the last version just had too many changes, and I didn't notice that I introduced several bugs. I did processed with it some 1000 of my MP3 files, but my normal usage pattern doesn't touch the affected areas. Today I tried some other things and I noticed that not everything works as designed. So there's a new version, to correct the issues that I uncovered.

The most annoying thing to me was that removing elements from lists (visible transformations, filters, ...) no longer worked.

Another issue was that the tag editor sometimes reserved a lot of space for fast editing, even when fast editing was disabled.

So nothing really big, or leading to data loss, but to me these warranted a new release.

Then there are older things that only got uncovered now:

Processing ID3V2.4.0 tags containing UTF-8 frames never worked. Those frames were read correctly, but writing them to ID3V2.3.0 caused the tag to appear broken. "Discard invalid ID3V2 data" was affected by this, as well as any other transformation that wrote V2.4.0 data to V2.3.0 tags. Well, now it's finally fixed.

I fixed several assertion failures that are quite unlikely to reach, so I won't get into details.

There are also some improvements:

The file renamer accepts now patterns that contain no path separators. That's what should be used to rename files inside a directory, without moving them elsewhere. This seemed to work fine but needs a bit more testing.

"Discard invalid ID3V2 data" is faster now if it doesn't make any changes.

When applying transformations their names are displayed. I find this more useful for custom transformation lists, when only 1 or 2 from the whole list actually get applied. Now you can finally see what's going on.

Saving from the tag editor now removes broken ID3V2 tags.

Well, if you have you should probably move to (though, given the extent of the changes in, chances are that a new bugfix release will come pretty soon.)


  1. Awesome work ! I am very happy with the software.

    I'd be even happier with an improved ID3V2.4 support (no more unsupported flags)

    I also encounter Musicmatch tag format which seems unrecognized (look for sync string 18273645)

    Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next release

  2. I've also seen RIFF WAVEfmt headers quite often (those doesn't seem to be supported by the current version)...

  3. (I somehow didn't notice archaos' comments, so now I guess nobody will notice my own comments. Anyway ...)

    Regarding "unsupported flags": most likely all you have to do to have them supported is send me a file that has an "unsupported" note, so I can look at it and add support.

    Regarding Musicmatch tag and RIFF WAVEfmt headers, the right place to ask for them is the Issue Tracker, at http://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/mp3diags/

    Depending on the amount of work it would take and on the value they provide, I might implement some support for them (anyway, right now I don't even know what they are.)