Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fixed potential random crash

Somebody wrote to me a few days ago to complain about random crashes at startup. I asked for some system details but never heard back. Since this is the second time such a thing happens, I'm beginning to wonder if somehow messages get lost (yes, I carefully checked my "spam" folder.)

Anyway, since I didn't have any crash in a long time, and when I did it was reproducible and I quickly implemented a fix, I really didn't know what might cause his issues or how to fix them. However, today I came to realize that most Linux distributions ship both a single-threaded and a multi-threaded version of Boost Serialization. I thought the single-threaded variants were discarded long ago, but apparently that's not the case. But because I'm using openSUSE (which doesn't have the single-threaded variant), I didn't realize other distributions still have it. I knew this same issue caused crashes on Windows, but, since nobody reported crashes on Linux before, I didn't realize I should investigate more seriously the threading model.

Well, version 0.99.02.017 always uses the multi-threaded library, so hopefully the random crashes are gone. (0.99.02.018 is pretty much the same, just that the sources are easier to compile.)

--------------------

Other changes include an improved assert dialog (now you can copy the data to the clipboard and even send mail from it) and warnings in some cases when a downloaded image would be lost (one case is still not covered, but I hope I will have a look soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment